The American Century Celebrity Golf Championship Tournament is right around the corner and we know you couldn’t be more excited! This 32nd annual event is the prime celebrity golf tournament that raises funds for both local and national charities. As you may know, this is a 54-hole tournament with some of the most well-known sports and entertainment celebrities, so we thought it would be helpful to give you some tips for attending this nationally recognized event.
Explore the course
When you first arrive at the Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, things may seem a bit overwhelming for you. This stunning Lake Tahoe golf course boasts 54 holes surrounded by lush fairways and well-manicured greens, it’s a sight to see! Add more than 80 of the biggest celebrities in sports and entertainment to the scenery, and the additional spectators, your feeling of overwhelmingness is totally understandable! We recommend taking the first day of the 5-day event to just explore the course and get a good lay of the land.
- Favorite Spots: Take a walk around the course and pick out a couple of your favorite spots to rotate at throughout the tournament. You won’t want to stay in the same spot every day and you also can’t be at four different holes at the same time! By choosing a handful of your favorite spots, you’ll know exactly where you want to go the following four days. This will save you both time and steps!
- Restrooms: You don’t want to be on a wild goose chase for a restroom while you’re here! Be sure to pinpoint the closest restrooms near your favorite spots to ensure quick and easy access!
- First Aid: It is a very smart idea to locate the First Aid tents when you first arrive, which will be set up near the 15th tee. Safety always comes first and the medical professionals attending this golf tournament will certainly be ready for any medical emergencies that may come about. From dehydration to COVID-19 symptoms, they’re well prepared and heavily supplied for any situation!
- Concessions: You cannot bring your own food into the American Century Championship, so finding the concession stands and making a pit stop for food and drinks is almost a must while attending this tournament. It is important to note that the concession stands will only be accepting credit or debit cards for payment, no cash will be accepted. For health and safety reasons, this event will offer ‘grab ‘n go’ food wherever possible to encourage social distancing and discourage long and close contact waiting lines.
You don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb, so it is important that you wear the appropriate attire for this golf event. Wearing your sweats may be a little too casual while a suit and a tie would be way too formal, plus you would be dripping in sweat! Be sure to wear the following if you want to look like one of the pros!
- Golf Attire: When it comes to shirts, it’s a pretty safe bet that most spectators will be wearing a collared shirt. Many people choose polo shirts as they are collared but still comfortable. As for the bottom half, be sure to wear khakis or golf slacks and not jeans! Shorts would be a good idea for the warmer weather, but make sure that whatever color or material you decide to wear, that the shorts have belt loops (which also means that you should wear a belt). Skorts are also popular to wear with collared shirts, just be sure that they lay at a professional length.
- Walking Shoes: We know it may be a harsh reality but you will only be spectating the days of the tournament, so you can leave your golf cleats at home! It may be tempting to slip on your golfing shoes so you can look like one of the celebrities, but you will encounter a lot of walking throughout the 5-day tournament so it is important to have comfortable walking shoes on your feet. You can save the cleats for another day!
- Jacket & Umbrella: With Tahoe weather always being unpredictable, it would be a good idea to leave a jacket and an umbrella in the car just in case the wind begins to pick up or you get stuck in an afternoon shower. By having these items in your car, you can quickly run out to get them and be prepared for any weather conditions.
- Hat & Sunscreen: Hoping that the sky stays dry and the temperatures stay high, we recommend wearing a hat and sunscreen to protect against the sun’s UV rays. No matter if it’s a super sunny day or a continuous cloudy day, a hat and sunscreen are must-haves when spending the whole day outside. This way you won’t have to worry about sunburn and your skin will be protected from the sun. No one wants to walk around looking like a red lobster after they get sunburnt, so wear your sunscreen!
Pay Attention & Be Respectful
For both the safety of you and others, you need to be paying attention during the tournament. Although these celebrities have impressive golf games, they still aren’t golf professionals! You need to be aware of golf balls flying in the air and maybe even golf clubs! You should also practice golf etiquette and be respectful when the golfers are shooting their shots. Take note of the following points to ensure safety and respectable behavior:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Pay attention to golf shots
- Don’t be a distraction
- Be quiet and still during the swing
- Silence your cell phone
- Stay clear of fairways, greens, and tee boxes
- Follow at least 25 yards behind the group
- Assist in helping players search for lost balls
- Wait for all players to putt before moving on to the next tee
- Applaud politely when a player makes a good shot
Prohibited Items & Restrictions
Make sure that you’re knowledgeable about the prohibited items and restrictions before attending the American Century Championship. We don’t want any of your items to be confiscated! We do want to point out that one 16oz unopened bottle of water is allowed into the tournament, so be sure to take advantage of that and stay hydrated! Here we have made a list of only some items that are prohibited, so be sure to check out the full list before attending.
- Purses of any size
- Lawn or oversized chairs
- Pets, except for service animals
- Knives, firearms, or weapons of any nature
- Video cameras
- Sports memorabilia or collectibles
- Alcoholic beverages
- Signs or banners
- Celebrity autographs this year
- Laser pointers
We understand that the American Century Championship is the main reason why you’re visiting Lake Tahoe, but we do recommend exploring some of the other amazing Lake Tahoe attractions when you’re not at the golf course! Lake Tahoe offers endless activities including biking, fishing, hiking, sightseeing, shopping and more! Take a walk on the beach during sunset or wake up early and go water skiing on Lake Tahoe before the tournament starts. Your options are truly endless! Check out 10 Fun, Safe, and Socially-Distanced Things to Do In Lake Tahoe This Summer for even more ideas. We are sure you will find something to do in your free time!
Book the Perfect Place to Stay in Lake Tahoe
Do you now have your whole week planned out but still need a place to stay? Well you’re in luck! The Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel is only a 4-minute drive from the Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, making it the perfect place for you to stay while you’re in town for the American Century Championship. Between our lodging, dining, and recreation options, we know that we will not disappoint. Book now and start planning your week in Lake Tahoe for the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship!