Our Favorite Things To Do in Lake Tahoe This Winter (Besides Skiing & Snowboarding)
“I don’t ski. What else is there to do in Lake Tahoe?”
Sure, Lake Tahoe is known as one of the best skiing and snowboarding destinations in the world, but the fun doesn’t stop there. Winter is an amazing time to visit South Tahoe. Even if you’re not ready to strap on a pair of skis and head down the slopes, there are tons of things to do in Lake Tahoe during the winter. We’ve put together a few of the best winter activities in Lake Tahoe — besides skiing and snowboarding.
- Snowmobile tour. Jump on a snowmobile and explore Lake Tahoe’s backcountry. Lake Tahoe Adventures’ snowmobile tours run November through April, weather permitting, and take you nearly 8,500 feet above sea level. It’s a perfect mix of adventure, nature, and fun.
- Ice skating. Strap on some skates and show us your best triple lux! Ice skating at Heavenly Village features music, lights, and some fresh Tahoe air. The rink is open November through Easter and skates are available for rent.
- Snowshoeing. Snowshoeing is a great alternative to skiing — and it’s easy! You don’t need lessons or practice. Camp Richardson’s Mountain Sports is a great place to rent some snowshoes here in South Lake Tahoe. If you’re looking for a little excitement, consider signing up for the annual Fresh Track 5K Snowshoe Race!
- Sledding/tubing. Who says sledding is just for kids? Sledding and tubing are popular pastimes during the winter months in Tahoe. Many ski resorts even have specially-groomed areas just for sledders and tubers, like Heavenly Mountain’s 500-foot tubing hill. Be sure to book online to reserve your time.
- Sleigh rides. “Dashing through the snow, in a…” well, you know the rest. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly activity or a romantic date idea, there’s nothing quite like a horse-drawn sleigh ride. Borges Family Sleigh Rides has been operating for more than 50 years and is a popular option here in South Lake Tahoe.
- Après ski. Just because you didn’t go skiing doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a little Après ski. It means “after ski,” and it’s basically an excuse to relax, warm-up, and enjoy a drink or two with friends and family. As a ski town, we go all out with après ski happy hours complete with cozy fireplaces, blankets, and great deals on food and beverages.
- Brewery hopping. This one is for the beer lovers! Lake Tahoe has definitely jumped on the craft beer train and there are plenty of great local places for you to try. Be sure to check out some of our favorite breweries, including Sidellis Lake Tahoe and South Lake Brewing Company, just to name a few. You can even grab some local beer to go to enjoy on your own!
- Go out to eat. Whether you’re hitting the slopes or not, you’ve got to eat sometime. You could easily spend your day sampling good food from all the amazing restaurants in Lake Tahoe, including Echo right here at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel. The winter ski season can get pretty busy, so we recommend making a reservation or taking advantage of to-go, delivery, and curbside options in Lake Tahoe if there’s a place you really want to try!
- Shopping. There’s nothing like a little retail therapy! The Shops at Heavenly are a great way to spend an afternoon in South Lake Tahoe. With tons of boutique stores featuring chocolate, jewelry, art, clothes, and more, you’re sure to find something that fits your style. Plus, it’s a great way to get out of the cold when you want to warm up.
- Catch a movie. When you don’t feel like being outside, grab some popcorn and snacks and hunker down to watch the latest blockbuster at the Heavenly Village Cinema. A movie night makes for a perfect date with that special someone or outing for the whole family.
- Swimming in an indoor pool. Just like skiing, swimming is great exercise and it’s a lot of fun! We have a heated indoor pool here at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel that water lovers of all ages love to splash around in and enjoy.
- Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster. Speed through the trees, hills, and snow on the epic Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster. Such a thrill! The sled holds up to two riders, so it’s a lot of fun for parents to enjoy with their children.
- Massage and spa day. Maybe you could use a little pampering after a long, hard week. There are plenty of great massage and day spas here in South Lake Tahoe. You can even relax in the privacy of your own room with in-room massage and spa services from Lake Tahoe Massage Therapy — perfect for a girls weekend or a romantic getaway!
- Casinos. Are you feeling lucky? Casinos are one of the most popular indoor activities here in our neck of the Sierras. Try your hand at slots, blackjack, poker, and more at Harrah’s, Harvey’s, Hard Rock, or one of the other casinos in Lake Tahoe.
- Heavenly Gondola ride. Just because you don’t want to ski down the mountain doesn’t mean you can’t go up it. The 2.4-mile Heavenly Gondola ride is one of our favorite things to do in Tahoe year-round. With breathtaking views, it’s a can’t-miss, especially if you’re visiting Tahoe for the first time. Grab your camera and get ready to take plenty of amazing pictures.
What are you waiting for?
Now is the perfect time to plan your winter getaway to Lake Tahoe. Even if you don’t ski or snowboard, we’re sure you’ll find some winter fun in Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel puts you in the center of the action and has great amenities, such as two-room suites to get your winter Tahoe adventure started on a high note.
ICYMI: Forbes Named Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel One of the Best Family-Friendly Resorts in Lake Tahoe
Big news! Our hotel was recently named one of the best family-friendly resorts in Lake Tahoe by Forbes! We love when families come to visit us and take pride in our awesome amenities for all ages, so being included on this list was a true honor.
A Lake Tahoe History Lesson
We are all well aware of the beautiful views and endless recreational opportunities that are present in Lake Tahoe, but how did it all begin? It is easy to be distracted by the amazing adventures and entertainment possibilities in this outdoorsy city, but like any favored destination, there is a story behind it all.
Plan Your Dream Golf Vacation in Lake Tahoe
There is nothing quite like a picture perfect day out on the golf course. The Reno/Tahoe area is home to over 30 golf courses for visitors to enjoy during their stay — just a short jaunt away from Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel,. The options are endless and just waiting for golf fans like you!
Tips For Planning a Safe & Fun Corporate Event in Lake Tahoe
As one of the premier corporate event venues and meeting spaces in Lake Tahoe, we’ve missed helping businesses plan exciting and successful events. Our team here at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel is looking forward to inviting businesses and groups back to South Lake Tahoe!
Essentials to Pack for a Winter Ski & Snowboard Trip in Lake Tahoe
It just so happens that Heavenly Mountain Resort is (literally) in our backyard, so we get a lot of skiers and snowboarders coming through our hotel lobby
10 Frequently Asked Questions About Lake Tahoe (And the Surrounding Area)
As a top hotel destination in the Lake Tahoe area, we get a lot of first-timers and people who are unfamiliar with our little piece of heaven. Many have similar questions regarding things to do in the area, when to book their reservation, and so on.
Meeting planners love Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel
Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel has long been a favorite of meeting planners. In fact, it was just named a top choice in Meetings Today magazine’s 2018 readers’ poll “Best of Meetings Today.”
Spring break is “spring loaded” in Lake Tahoe
The March weather gods sent a blizzard of white coating Lake Tahoe with several feet of fresh powder just in time for spring break.
Subscribe for News and Offers
Stay in the loop on all the news and exciting offers from Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, and have them delivered to your inbox.
4130 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Hotel Direct: 530.544.5400
© 2022 Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel.