While the pandemic has definitely changed things, there’s no reason newlyweds can’t still have an amazing honeymoon. After all the stress of wedding planning amid this global pandemic, you definitely deserve a getaway for just the two of you. There’s no doubt South Lake Tahoe is one of the best honeymoon destinations — especially while we’re all still navigating through this unprecedented time. Pandemic or no pandemic, it’s just easier to unwind and relax in the mountains. Whether you’re planning a honeymoon now or in the future, we’ve got some tips to help plan a safe and romantic honeymoon in Lake Tahoe.
Take a road trip
In light of the current situation, many newlyweds are opting to stick a little closer to home for their honeymoon. If you’re in California or Nevada, that can only mean one thing — a road trip to Lake Tahoe! Road trips are a great way to keep socially-distanced as much as possible since you can avoid crowded airports and planes. If you can survive hours cramped in a car with your new spouse, you can survive whatever marriage has to throw at you, right? But, in all seriousness, a road trip honeymoon is a great way to bond over great conversation, great music, and some great sightseeing along the way.
Depending on which way you’re heading to Lake Tahoe, there are some fun sightseeing opportunities and photo ops along the way— from Red Rock Canyon State Park to the Free-Range Art Highway. Plus, once you get here, there’s no shortage of amazing views and outdoor activities to keep you busy!
Plan outdoor activities
One of the main reasons people come to Tahoe is to enjoy the plethora of outdoor activities, relaxation, and picturesque views all year long. It’s simply easier to social distance and keep your distance from others while exploring our miles of trails and shoreline — no matter what time of year you opt to have your honeymoon!
It’s summer right now, which means it’s a great time to enjoy our beautiful trails or spend time by the crystal clear waters soaking up the California sunshine. Trying something new as a couple, like horseback riding or parasailing, can be the perfect way to make your honeymoon even more memorable.
As the weather gets a little cooler in the next couple of months, there are still plenty of ways to enjoy Tahoe safely and responsibly. Fall is still a perfect time to hit the trails with your new spouse— with mild temperatures and beautiful foliage for a relaxing honeymoon getaway. When winter hits, Lake Tahoe is known for our world-class skiing, ice skating, and so much more, which are great opportunities to learn, bond, and spend time as a newly-married couple.
While we don’t know exactly how things will look in the coming months as we navigate this changing pandemic, we do know that the Lake Tahoe communities and businesses will continue to do our best to operate safely and responsibly, including Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel.
Again, with things still so uncertain moving forward, it’s up to everyone to do their part to keep Tahoe safe. If you’re planning your honeymoon in Lake Tahoe in the coming months or moving forward, here are few things to keep in mind:
- Wear a mask. There’s a current statewide mask mandate and it’s currently the best way to slow the spread of COVID-19, according to health experts.
- Pack sanitation supplies. Pack hand sanitizer, gloves, and disinfectant wipes. This will help reduce risk when proper hand-washing stations aren’t easily accessible (like when you’re traveling or out on the trails).
- Check with businesses before you visit. Many Lake Tahoe businesses are still operating on reduced staff, reduced hours, or having safety measures in place during this time. Visiting their website or calling before you go is the best way to make sure you and your significant other follow their precautions and aren’t disappointed or delayed during your honeymoon.
- Be flexible. It’s good to know your options or have a few activities in mind. That way, if a business seems packed, you have other fun ideas in mind to make the most of your honeymoon together while still keeping a proper social distance from others!
- While you’re at it, check out our additional tips for safe and responsible recreation in Lake Tahoe.
Plan Your Honeymoon at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel
We can’t wait to welcome you and your significant other to our hotel to celebrate this special time in your life! Our convenient location puts you right at the center of the Lake Tahoe action, so you’ll be only steps away from all the great outdoor adventures you’re sure to have! Plus, our suite-style rooms and other great amenities — included a heated indoor pool — provide a relaxing and romantic place to unwind after a day of safe and memorable fun in the Sierras.
Still in the wedding planning process? Consider Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel as the perfect spot for your ceremony and reception!