5 Fun Lake Tahoe Staycation Ideas
It goes without saying that 2020 has been a weird year. The COVID-19 pandemic put a damper on many of our travel plans. However, we refuse to let it put a damper on our spirits! If you live in Lake Tahoe or the surrounding area, this one’s for you!
If you or your family are worried about traveling or aren’t able to travel at this point, you don’t have to go far to have an amazing vacation. There’s so much to do, see, and experience right here in Lake Tahoe. With that in mind, we’ve put together a Lake Tahoe staycation guide to help you experience all that Lake Tahoe has to offer — while sticking close to home!
1. Try new foods
One of the best parts of any vacation is the food. There’s something about being on vacation that puts us in the mindset to try new dishes, experience new flavors, and just indulge until our hearts are content. After all, calories don’t count on vacation, right?
Just because you’re sticking close to home doesn’t mean you can’t experience some delicious new foods. Here are a few foodie ideas for your Lake Tahoe staycation…
- Try one of the amazing restaurants in South Lake Tahoe that you haven’t experienced yet! Many restaurants are offering carryout and delivery options, so you can enjoy a nice meal at home. Check out Tahoe South or contact the restaurant for the latest on restaurant hours and restrictions.
- Create a California-inspired menu. Challenge yourself to cook a meal using all locally-sourced ingredients. Adults can wash it all down with a local brew from South Lake Tahoe Brewing Co. or one of the other amazing breweries in Lake Tahoe.
- Pack your favorites foods and go on a picnic. There’s no better way to enjoy the natural beauty of Lake Tahoe than a relaxing picnic with your family or friends. Baldwin Beach is a great spot for a picnic, while still keeping your distance from others.
2. Have a fun outdoor adventure
Lake Tahoe is a year-round playground. The fact is, there’s really no shortage of things to do, particularly outdoor recreational activities, that make for a memorable and fun staycation. Fresh air, mountain views, and vacation — what could be better? Plus, it’s naturally easier to social distance and remain safe outside.
Not sure what to do? Well, you’re in luck! We’ve got plenty of ideas to get you outdoors and experiencing all Lake Tahoe has to offer.
- Check out our list of safe and socially-distanced things to do in South Lake Tahoe. From hiking to skiing to, you’re sure to find something that you and your family will enjoy!
- Go on a scavenger hunt! Have fun putting together your Tahoe-inspired scavenger hunt list and then hit the trails to scope out plants, wildlife or visit iconic places around the South Tahoe area. Bring a camera and snap pictures along the way for a memorable staycation scrapbook!
- Volunteer! There’s no better way to bond with family and friends than to give back. Volunteering can be a fun and fulfilling way to soak up some California sunshine and enjoy the outdoors, all while making South Lake Tahoe a better place to live, work, and visit. Check out Keep Tahoe Blue for some great outdoor volunteer options and events.
3. Take an art class
Always wanted to try some type of art but never had the time? Looking to learn something new? A staycation is a perfect time to get in touch with your creative side! No matter what type of art you’re interested in. South Lake Tahoe offers a variety of art classes and activities that you can do in-person at one of the local studios or pick up and do at home.
- Compass Clay Studio, located at 976 Edgewood Circle in South Lake Tahoe, offers to-go kits with everything you need to create your own clay masterpiece. You get to craft your piece from the comfort of your home, then they’ll fire it at the studio!
- Explore the many art galleries in the area. The Marcus Ashley Gallery, Benko Art Gallery, Pacific Crest Gallery, and many more are all full of hidden treasures! Some of the galleries even offer special events, artist meet-and-greets, and other fun activities for you to get involved with!
- Hit up Knits and Knots Tahoe, located at 989 Tallac Avenue, for all your fiber arts needs! Now’s the perfect time to learn how to knit or crochet in preparation for the winter season when you’ll want those cozy hats, scarves, mittens, and blankets. They have virtual knit nights and so much more to help you connect with other artists and expand your skills!
4. Take a road trip adventure
Just need to just get away for a bit? We totally get it! Lake Tahoe is centrally located for some of the most amazing and memorable road trips in the United States. We’re just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Los Angeles, Sacramento, Las Vegas, and more!
Plus, you’ll get stunning views and there’s fun sightseeing opportunities along the way. With fall right around the corner, there’s sure to be some colorful autumn foliage that will add a little extra seasonal beauty to your road trip as well.
If you’re heading toward Lake Tahoe for a quick getaway, check out our road trip guide for more tips, tricks, and road trip ideas near Lake Tahoe.
5. Stay at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel
You don’t have to go far to have all the fun and excitement of a vacation! If you want to get away without really getting away, consider a stay at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel. Did you know we were voted one of the most family-friendly hotels in South Lake Tahoe by Forbes? Relax on our patio, take a dip in our pool, or simply relax and enjoy some family time in one of our suite-style rooms.
On top of that, we’re just steps away from all the amazing dining, shopping, and recreational opportunities!
What are you waiting for? There’s no place like Tahoe! Start planning your staycation adventure today!
10 Frequently Asked Questions About Lake Tahoe (And the Surrounding Area)
As a top hotel destination in the Lake Tahoe area, we get a lot of first-timers and people who are unfamiliar with our little piece of heaven. Many have similar questions regarding things to do in the area, when to book their reservation, and so on.
Your Spring Break Guide to Family Fun in Lake Tahoe
Start Planning Your Spring Break Trip to Lake Tahoe
Do you have your spring break plans yet? It’s coming up faster than you think and now is the time to start planning your epic getaway. For a spring break full of adventure, fun, and some time in the great outdoors, Lake Tahoe really needs to be at the top of your list.
Winter Activities in Tahoe South
Winter is one of our favorite seasons in Tahoe South! With so many different activities to do, there is no shortage of fun for everyone in the family.
6 Tips for Visiting Lake Tahoe for the First Time
Too often we hear about past negative experiences non-locals had while traveling to or visiting Lake Tahoe for the first time. They got stuck in traffic. They had to wait in long lines.
Best Breweries In South Lake Tahoe
There’s no doubt that breweries have exploded in popularity around the country — and we’re so glad that local breweries are thriving right here in Tahoe.
Our Favorite Things To Do in Lake Tahoe This Winter (Besides Skiing & Snowboarding)
Sure, Lake Tahoe is known as one of the best skiing and snowboarding destinations in the world, but the fun doesn’t stop there. Winter is an amazing time to visit South Tahoe
Lake Tahoe Winter FAQ’s – Everything You Need to Know!
Our team has answered a ton of Lake Tahoe questions from visitors over the years! Whether they’ve flown in from far away, or are just exploring a new part of town on a staycation, we love helping people learn all there is to know about this incredible area!
Subscribe for News and Offers
Stay in the loop on all the news and exciting offers from Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, and have them delivered to your inbox.
4130 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Hotel Direct: 530.544.5400
© 2022 Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel.